I wasn't going to post today ( loads to do ) but an email earlier has made me think..
It was from a blogger worried about her daughter
and my small comment on her post
gave her hope
because our daughters sound very similar.
Mine went terribly shy & quiet at secondary school,
her primary school friends moved on quickly without her
and for a long time I was her only friend.
It was heartbreaking.
Everything has changed, she is happy, confident & has a lovely group of friends.
They got on really well on a school holiday & have remained close.
I can honestly say she has blossomed and those sad years are firmly in the past.
So - has sharing an experience helped someone today ?
On another Blog, I felt I hadn't said enough to someone having a bad day !
So... how do you judge a happy medium of what to comment ?
Can our comments convey enough ?
Can they be taken the wrong way sometimes ?
Do they make a difference ?
Do we get too involved ?
I'd be interested to read your views..
because I love to Blog !
Every comment is a blessing to me. I live far away from fmaily and friends and all I have ever known, so the comments are like a hello from a friend and a real pick-me-up.
ReplyDeleteI read every comment and I also feel I have developed stronger freindships with some of the people who I comment on and comment to me, like you my lovley friend.
ReplyDeleteI cherrish every comment, it is wonderful knowing that there is people out there who care, can help and have been through similar things.
Thank you for always being there
I always go with an urge to comment, and hope sometimes I can be of help to others just as they have been of great help to me.
ReplyDeleteSue xx
Comments are what they are. It's really the blogger's responsibility to discern what is useful. People at work, neighbors, friends, even family often "comment" on how I should handle specific situations. Sometimes it's just what I needed, sometimes it can be quite offensive. But that's life! People "HAVE" opinions. Seeing as how I've never met any of the bloggers I follow, occasionally their comments can be the objective thing I need, the pick-me-up I was looking for, or just the words to help get me back in line. So, I said all that to say this...Discernment is key. :)
ReplyDelete~Randy
Comments brighten up the day. A lot of friendship is flying through the ether, and that can't be bad, can it?
ReplyDeleteYour post is very thought provoking. From my own experience, the comments other bloggers have made have always been encouraging and yours Penny, have been some of the nicest. I've always been glad to see you there. I think its the stuff of life to reach out to others. Sometimes you connect and sometimes you don't. I'm never going to stop trying tho. x
ReplyDeleteYou have a very good point. I think it depends on how well you know the blogger on who's blog you are commenting.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy reading comments on my blog and sometimes wonder what made them write what they did, but each and every one is supportive and always makes me smile. Even if it isn't meant to!
CJ xx
I sometimes worry incase my comments are read in the wrong way as it is sometimes difficult to express yourself when typing...if you try to joke it can come out offensive and in the past I have read some comments on my blog in the wrong way.
ReplyDeleteI love to see all my comments long or short and I often think should I comment back on my blog but end up just commenting back to people if they ask me a question.
I think blogging friends are better than anything for support and laughs! xxx
Ditto what Amy said...I love it when people take time to leave a comment, I especially look forward to yours Penelope. I also like my blog friends better than real ones, ( I know I'm sad!) LOL xxx
ReplyDeleteInteresting.
ReplyDeleteI love my blog too and I value the friendship that it has created. I think it means a lot to me as I live far from family and friends. I've yet to make any meaningful friends here yet.
I'm like Amy. I often leave comments meant as funny but later think "wow, that could come off really rude!" Since most of my blog buddies have a fabulous sense of humor, I assume they get me. When I get wordy, I often get e-mails and on-going conversations. I like that. Even though I don't know most of these folks personally, I do care about them. I guess we are building relationships here!
ReplyDeletei love to comment because i want the writer to know i read her/his blog. getting a comment mean so much coz its like a personal conversation with my reader. it makes us closer too.
ReplyDeletexoxoxo
I'd agree with Odette. So long as you're polite and not abusive, measuring the weight of your words as it were, I think comments can be helpful. Sometimes they can just be kind too and kindness is a very underrated thing these days - too often people assume offence when there is none, which is sad really.
ReplyDeleteI can never get enough comments!!! I try to word mine carefully, sometimes things don't come out the way you meant them. Always try to be positive in whatever I comment!!
ReplyDeleteI enjoy reading other people's blogs very much (even though my life is disappearing because of it!) and more often than not I try to leave a comment; sometimes it may be a helpful one, or perhaps a sympathetic one, or just a quick hello to say I've dropped by - I think it's lovely when people do that to me and so I try to do unto others etc..
ReplyDeleteComments are great, even if they're only quick. Whilst I'm sure that we don't necessarily write to be commented on, it's always nice to know that someone out there is reading it!!
ReplyDelete