Saturday, 5 January 2013



January fifth
The night of the Kings.
You can read my previous post about this special night 



I consider Twelfth night to be 
January the sixth - Epiphany
and that is when I take my decorations down.
There is some argument whether Twelfth night
is January the fifth or sixth !

The thing about being away
is that it doesn't take long to settle back home again.
I've loved seeing my pretty tree after a week away
and feel a little sad that tomorrow
I shall pack all the Christmas decorations away for another year.

It will be a busy year
with both husband & me turning fifty !
We count the trip to Mull our birthday treat.

In April I shall be going to New York
with my daughter, mother in law Aunt ( in law ) & sister in law !
A girls' treat !

Two weeks later will be my lovely niece's wedding in Kent
where we will spend two days taking my mum with us.
We are all looking forward to that.

In May, mum and I plan a coach holiday together.
In July we plan to nip back to Scotland for M-in Law's
and Aunt-in laws birthdays
( 80 shhhuuush !  )

Husband will be in various sailing regattas over the summer
which I join in with.

For now it's business as usual.
Yesterday I was back in the village community centre box office.
There is so much on
including booking to see the Village Panto
and an Elvis evening
and thinking about booking
a Dolly Parton evening & Opera Dudes !

The charity shop has closed for a mini refit
which was desperately needed.
We will retain our quirkiness
but hopefully have better use of space
as sorting & storing is a nightmare !
We plan a jumble sale, car boot fairs & fashion show later in the year.

The sheer amount of donations "stuff" can become overwhelming.

Jess & husband were given new cookery books. 
I picked up Jamie Oliver's " America " for Jess  for £1 !
She also had a new set of retro style scales
which look great in the kitchen.

Husband received a Nigel Slater cookery book
 & Rick Steins, " Spain " 
so we are looking forward to some new recipes.

I will be re-starting my healthy eating & exercise regime to shift a stone
 ( or more )
in time for my niece's wedding.
( have hat - need dress ! )

***


It's a year I'm looking forward to
with optimism.
Old things to return to 
and new things to try. 

  


11 comments:

  1. I love your positive planning. Good luck with all your endeavors over the coming year; I am planning to try to shift some weight this year so will be following your success with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a fun and busy year ahead.

    I love a good charity shop refit, you can't beat it for re-generating the takings the week after, it will give you a good start to the new year.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic year ahead, so much to look forward to. Yes my lighter life will include losing weight. I bought the Hairy Dieters book on your recommendation, it has some great recipes in and have sealed the deal by joining WW online, it cost a lot but I am hoping it keeps me on the straight and narrow or narrower! I want to look more glam in my old age , not like humpty dumpty in a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Penny!
    What a year you have to look forward to...
    Our decorations will be coming down tomorrow too...I take my lead from the French and "Le Jour des Rois"...6th...they have a special cake with a little figure hidden..whoever gets it is "the King".
    I will be joining you in the weight loss endeavour. I'm doing WW online and was given the Hairy Dieters book for Christmas...at my request, I hasten to add!
    Perhaps we can encourage each other!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking of taking my tree down tomorrow too. Oh well! I am on the weight loss journey with you! Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And me too. A stone to lose.
    What a busy year you have lined up. Plenty to look forward to there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good year ahead, Penny, hope its everything you want it to be. And definitely the 6th for the deccies for me - taking them down bit by bit between cups of tea and blog reading as we speak! Making my little house look very bare :-( xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of exciting things planned for the year ahead, lots of lovely things for celebration!
    Good luck with the weight loss for the wedding.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an exciting year you have planned. I am sure you will share all these adventures with us - I can't wait! And an important birthday too.... How about a virtual birthday tea party! I enjoyed the last one. We could present you with amazing virtual gifts like gold plated I phones And jewel encrusted teaspoons! I bought jamies fifteen minute meals. I am going to start trying them this week.... But fifteen minutes? Hmmm not so sure I will beat the clock. Happy Monday, jenx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an exciting year. New York--ohhh I am so envious!! And I think 50 is the new 30.
    :)

    ReplyDelete