Tuesday, 5 February 2013





I've just about had it with modern technology...
upgrading / updating.


Give me good old easy to use
long lasting
any day !



It began a while back with the vacuum cleaner.
My faithful Panasonic.
Husband complained about the price of the dust bags.
So we went to the sale of a certain electrical store closing down.
It had already closed down !


Went to another & I chose a VAX
( had problems with Dyson years ago
which resulted in the trusty Panasonic ! )


It looked good.
It seemed good.

It can't cope.

It can't cope with the sheer amount of dust & hairs
 in a house with four cats & a dog !
Every two or three minutes I have to empty it
& clean the filter.
This has to be done outside
as a cloud of dust billows out.


I've finally had it
& told husband,
" I want my Panasonic back "

He'd taken it to work at the marina.

There followed an,
" Ah "


He'd vacuumed the decks of a boat he was re-decking !!!
VACUUMED THE DECKS !!!

No Panasonic.

I said that I wanted a Henry,

so he's buying a Henry for work
and swapping it with the VAX.

( it won't cope ! )


The phone broke.
the wire corroded.

I hate the new phone !
It has a horrible ring,
it's turned off it's answerphone
and when it was on
it was a robot speaking
and not Jess's lovely voice.
I can't fathom how to turn on the answerphone again.
We need to tame the beast.


The kids complained about the wi-fi
not fast enough...
husband negotiated a new deal with TalkTalk.
A man came to install a new wi-fi and television box.
He gave us a demonstration
Joe rather rudely said,
" It's not Rocket Science "
The man agreed.


Now

I have to ask the kids to turn the TV on for me

and ...


Yesterday





 my computer went haywire......


 

9 comments:

  1. John & Jo, I changed the post I'd written about taking a break - normal service has resumed !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I noticed that you had taken that post off.

    I'm like you, I like my old things rather than all singing, all dancing new models. I hope you get used to the new things soon but the idea of not turning the TV on at the set is something I wouldn't like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to have a similar problem with most things electrical - especially irons and kettles. I have a Miele - especially made for cat and dog fur. I find it to be a good hoover. We also had a Dyson - it was rubbish. It kept having to go in for repairs which was becoming more and more costly. Hope you get used to the new technology!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do not get me started. Unlike modern machines, I do not stop. Like my computer......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't pretend to know anything about phones, wi-fi, TVs or computers. If they go wrong it's Mike's baby.

    But I do have a Miele vacuum and they are good. Interesting comments re Dyson. I was hankering after one of their cordless jobs. Perhaps I'll hold fire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sympathise! My current bugbear is the toaster - looks like it should produce up to four slices of golden toast, but can't manage even one properly. Hope the Henry CAN cope and that the new tv box soon share the secrets of its workings with you!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I know where you are coming from on this, I had to abandon the DVD player a few weeks ago - no idea how to get it to switch on the TV - could listen to it just no pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you know Penny, I am a cleaning lady, and like some of your other readers highly recommend the Miele. There is one specifically for Cats and Dogs and it has turbo attachments which are brilliant for upholstery. (One house has four dogs and two cats!). There is the option of a charcoal filter to cut down on smell and they have the old fashioned bags. Not cheap, but bags that fit can be obtained on E bay. Like the others, I have found Dysons to be unreliable, particularly in the early days.....

    ReplyDelete