Monday, 14 February 2011



This China doll is sitting in the window of the Charity Shop where I volunteer on a Tuesday.

At least she does now and she did before -
 but last weekend she went missing.
It was a great mystery to the manageress who had been away for a couple of days.

There were mumblings of,
" well it was broken before I got in "
and " I don't know anything about it "
Being a Tuesday girl,
I was blissfully unaware of what may or may not have happened to the creepy doll.

As the doll is valued at £25, the manageress really wanted to find & fix it if possible
but its whereabouts were a mystery.

I kept making ( helpful ) suggestions like the doll came to life at night
and played in the shop ( Like Bagpuss & co )
and had decided to play at trick...
 would jump out on the manageress with a Samurai sword
 one night when she's locking up in the dark !!!

Or she ( the manageress ) would be stiiting on the loo
and the door would  slowly creak open
& Miss China would slide in with a knife.

Anyway, she  ( the China doll)  turned up ( after a big search )
hidden under the counter
with a hairline fracture.
Has ben mended & returned to the Window -

for now....


Fun things you can get in our shop...




Classic.

A woman came int the Charity shop
last Tuesday
and asked me if we had
buntin
at least I thought she did
and so did Jan the other assistant.

We didn't have any bunins
but we did search
while I chattered on about how pretty bunting is.
I did wonder why the woman looked at me strangely.
It transpired that she didn't want Bunting at all
she wanted BUN TINS...
we didn't have those either.

The woman then asked me if we had
walking boowcs

I THOUGHT OF THE

bun tins scenario
and thought
" She doesn't want
walking boots does she"
Luckily she added,
" You know
local walking - bowkes.

Ah !
We didn't have those either !

***


It has been mentioned
( by Annie Lady M)
that I'll be joining the Womens' Institute before you know it
and listening to lectures on winter gardening.....


Well you know what these WI girls get up to don't you ?
Thinking here of images from
Calender girls....


When I asked for photos of yourselves where you Blog,

I also asked  Jo if she'd show herself wearing her new glasses...

She did not let me down !



Jo
http://fiddlesnips.blogspot.com/

 with her glasses on
and er, nothing else!

Thanks for being such  good sport Jo,
You gave me ( and a lot of other people ) such a giggle

By the way... it's all over Facebook now !!!

In true Marilyn Monroe style-
when shouted at by her agent for doing calendar shots with nothing on....

she answered demurely,

"THE RADIO WAS ON "



16 comments:

  1. I love it, thanks for the laugh this morning Penny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for cheering me up this morning Penny.
    Hugs xx
    p.s. that doll really is creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry -two misses. First, sorry I missed saying have a very Happy Birthday (hope it was a real good 'un), and then I missed taking a photo of me where I blog. Too damn busy clearing out the drain! T'would be no good to do it now - anything I did after Jo's would be sadly uninspired...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blog! Wait till you come up here you won't be able to understand a word.

    Yes the China Doll looks very scary, fancy buying that for a small child, it would have made me cry. She looks like some aged Hollywood actress, too much botox - and what's with the melted chocolate on her head.

    As for the divine and demure Joanna - what a girl!!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious post and what a sport Jo is .... great !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. What a sport Jo is! Aren't you going to join her in the Calendar Girls style photo?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might do a Calendar girls shot...I had a new camera for my birthday & the teens are taking masses of photos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Penny, (ref your comment on my Blog) she'll either survive it not...there's not much you can do. If a chicken decides to die it will, if not it will fight back and pull through. A bit of warm food may help her, if they feel cosseted they sometimes rally round. I hope she's okay.

    Great picture of Jo yesterday....she really is a good sport.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That reminds me of when my mother worked at a thrift shop and a lady with a strong accent was asking for barfoom so my mother led her to the bathroom. It turns out she was looking for perfume much to my mother's embarrassment.
    Sorry I can't do my pic of where I blog today because I'm on a trip visiting my sis but I will tell you that quite often it's from my bed before I get up!
    xoxo Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are hoping to do a production of CG here on the sunny Isle next year - you'll have to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! This has nothing whatsoever to do with your blog post, but rather to your comment on Going Gently.... I have found that for hens that are shaken up (both physically and emotionally) a meal or two of Pampering sets things right. Mine used to get scrambled egg with fresh tomato, brown rice, molasses, oatmeal, sunflower seeds, and any other "goodies" I happened to have at hand... Hope she's feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very scary doll, ugh!! Your 4 candles/fork 'andles clip really is a classic and one of my very special favourites. Your version of buntin'/buntins made me giggle.

    Hope and I had a giggle doing the Calendar Girls photo shoot. I couldn't get Grant to do it because his hands were shaking! I would have been a bit braver but Hope drew the line at the one I posted - kids can be such prudes!

    xxx
    (and I had my jeans and socks on!!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now if you think for ONE second that.......

    ReplyDelete
  14. That doll is bloody freaky. I would smash it up with a hammer if I was you.... and then plant all the bits in different locations so that it couldn't piece itself together in an evil way.

    You volunteer in Charity Shops? That's only a small step away from singing Jeruslaem! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Annie I can always count on you !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally agree with Annie on the doll...er, and on singing Jerusalem, 'hem, 'hem!

    Very brave of Jo, especially in this weather!! I'd do something like that, but I don't think anyone would recover...except maybe art students some of whom have seen me nekkid and amazingly not fainted in horror.

    ReplyDelete