Sunday, 2 December 2012




Yesterday on the way to my stint in the village charity shop,
I popped into the smaller Cat & Kitten Rescue charity shop

( Bramble came from the rescue twelve years ago
and they provide a wonderful rescue for abandoned
cats & kittens
or those who need re-homing )

I bought some tea lights & small candles.
I like having a few twinkling away in the winter evenings.
Later I found out why the pretty pack of candles were donated..
they last all of half an hour !

Oh well they were only a pound !

One pound also for the box of pretty baubles !

I'm not sure if they are old
but they remind me of the ones we had on our Christmas tree
when we were young.

Dad would stand the tree on a wooden toy box
& drape a brightly coloured cloth around the base.
Then he'd add the lights.

He used to freshen up the baubles in Silver dip !
Then it was our turn -
my three brothers & Icould decorate the tree.
We had clip on feather birds
and decorations like the ones above.


Sadly when my parents separated
and both eventually moved completely out of the area I grew up in
the Christmas decorations remained with my dad
and due to various factors
they are long gone.
Sad as I would love to have had them.

Choosing & decorating our Christmas tree 
has always been a highlight of Christmas.
I usually add something new every year.
This year I bought these...




It seemed silly not to put them out straight away
so I've put them in a heart shaped bowl Jess gave me
but Finn has decided they are his toys
picking them up by the string one by one
then flicking them all over the lounge !

They just might have to be left out when we pack the decorations away !

We don't put the tree up too early
but it does stay up til twelfth night...
in memory of celebrating
the night of the Kings
when we lived in Spain.













12 comments:

  1. Those baubles look lovely - certainly like the few I have left from my childhood tree :) Am guessing as they are doing Christmas no 43 this year they are now classed as vintage??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember baubles like that too.
    Love the look of Finn's "toys"...lol
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss our family ornaments also, although we have a few of Jim's Mom's and they are similar to what I had as a girl. Artificial snow and moving took mine away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christmas is a time which is full of memories.
    Finn obviously has good taste if he wants to play with the latest pretties!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they are vintage, aka what I used to see on our family tree. As my Mother moved around the UK with hundreds of unpacked boxes which she left along the way I too have lost them.
    I love your 'new ones' also. Not as much as Finn does!

    ReplyDelete
  6. when we do House Clearances, I'm quite happy going through "other people's stuff" until I get to the box of Christmas decs, and then I always get a bit sad cos they put them away never knowing...
    So, we always bring them home with us and use them on our tree. Consequently we don't have a beautifully co-ordinated tree, we have one smothered in years and years worth of other peoples decorations- and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those baubles bring back such memories of childhood Christmas trees. It was my job to put on the baubles, after Dad had spent several hours, fortified by a glass of something or other, fixing the lights..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we must all have had some of these in our childhood. I remember being particularly fond of a red glass one with white glitter on it. I also remember them being so fragile it was easy to put your finger through them.
    A lovely find, I hope Finn doesn't add them to his playbox.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the bulbs are old--They remind me of ones I had growing up too! I think you are on your way to having a wonderful holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those pine cone decorations are the stuff of my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those baubles are quite pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those baubles are gorgeous. They are just like the ones we had on our tree in the 70s - especially the bottom one with the concave section. They were glass and i remember breaking them regularly. One year on christmas day when I was about 9, someone bought me some chocolate decorations to hang on the tree. They were a real luxury and I remember being so proud of them. I hung them on the tree right from where I was sitting - all in the same place - at the bottom - and they were quite heavy. So you can probably guess how it goes! The next thing i remember is being surrounded by broken glass baubles and heavy chocolate ornaments, with a huge 70s silver tinsel tree all over me. I couldnt move because I was surround by shards of broken glass. My christmas presents were covered in glass. Oh my how my mum laughed as she rushed from the kitchen to rescue her sill daughter, leaving the the brussels to over cook and the turkey to burn. I was sooo popular! Was there such a thing as health and safety in the 70s? long comment but i thought it would make you smile! I am really really hectivally busy at the moment and I am trying really really hard to visit you every week. Sorry for the absence! jenxxx

    ReplyDelete